Friday 1 July 2016

Dorset cream tea, and other delicacies

There are any things I'm looking forward to when going to England, and one of the is the food. My favourites are not always necessarily the most healthy and nutritiously valuable choices. But they are certainly delicious. And after all, when I'm there, I'm on holiday...
We hadn't had a cream tea in ages, the last time was well over a year ago, so we decided that it was definitely time for one. And we knew exactly where to go. Our all time favourite place for the best Dorset cream tea - Downhouse Farm café. It's not exactly easy to reach, but well worth the journey, both by car, and even by foot (it is quite a bit of a walk up there). It is high up on a hill, not far from the cliffs, a beautiful, peaceful garden to sit and relax - and enjoy a rich cream tea (and draw it). Homemade scones, a big pot of locally made clotted cream, and an equally big pot of delicious homemade strawberry jam. It's so rich, that it makes a full meal, so we always go there for lunch. 
The last bit of the way is one of those very narrow country lanes, with bushes on both sides, and there's been an argument between the locals and the council about who's responsible to look after a certain stretch of it for quite a while. As a result, it is in a very sorry state, and getting worse and worse every year. The first time N had taken me there, it had already been bad, with big holes everywhere. By now, the holes have become so deep, that someone has put bricks into them, to make the road passable at all. The result is that you not only have to drive at about 10 mph max, but that even then, all those holes make the car shake thoroughly, that you just can't stop laughing, it's so funny. It's like being on a funfair rides. We had aching bellies and tears streaming down our cheeks by the time we made it to the end of the stretch. I wonder what the state of the road will be like next time we go there.


Another classic, and guilty pleasure - N made cheese on toast for breakfast on many mornings during our holiday. Well, we were out and about all day, so we needed something substantial to start the day with...


Custard tarts always make me think of one of my favourite, classic tv series - As Time Goes By. One of the characters, Lionel, is very fond of them and always gets very, very grumpy if someone else in the household dares to eat this custard tarts. I can understand him :)


But of course there's more than food. A late afternoon, when the sun suddenly comes out, spent on the beach in West Bay.


And I always enjoy visiting the lighthouse on Portland Bill, on the Isle of Portland, and spending some time wandering around there. It's a special place, somehow. And of course, lighthouses are always fascinating.


18 comments:

  1. Your holiday drawings are absolutely wonderful! I remember Cornish cream teas very well as I used to holiday in Cornwall ever year when my children were small. The south west is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your holiday sketchbook! I'm glad you had a good time and got to eat so many goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy paintings! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wunderbare Aquarellsketche! Bin begeistert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, I think I will go have some cheese on toast for breakfast you inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I am on holiday with you. Yummy looking food...and I love the idea of grilled cheese for breakfast. Never had it but think I will try it. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post Kay! I love your sketches! Hopefully you avoided the weather we've been having, which is rain, rain and more rain! :0/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful holiday Art.
    Happy weekend ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sketches do a wonderful job of bringing us along on your holiday. Thank you! It was delightful. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  10. really wonderful illustrations and remembrances of your lovely holiday-You'll always be able to look at these and taste and smell and it will take you right back. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely adore your illustrations! They look so tasty too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures. :) I live in Dorset, and it makes me realise how lucky I am!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, now I am hungry... Your light house is so well done - shading, background, all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow way to make us all hungry...lol Gorgeous sketches. All looks so yummy...anything with cheese is usually scrumptious. Sounds like a completely Delicious experience!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, awesome work and now I'm hungry and want to be there where the food is.:) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy imagery. Makes me want food!! The last cream tea I had was in NZ!! I must treat myself this week here in UK!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy to remember and sad that it's over, for the time being. Amazing how many people have not had cheese on toast for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete