Friday 6 September 2013

Village ladies

On a cold and snowy mid-winter day, the ladies of the village have met up for a brisk walk, and some gossip, in the crisp fresh winter air, before retiring to the little village café, to indulge in several cups of Earl Grey, some cake, and of course more gossip.


It's been quite a while since I started, and more importantly, actually finished, a painting on canvas. This little 30x30cm piece developed from a vague idea in my mind, as usual an idea more of colours than subject. I think the landscape was inspired from my lazy Sunday the other week, flopping on the sofa, watching Tea with Mussolini on tv.


It's still hot and summery here, and I must admit, I'm getting a bit fed up with it. I mean, it's okay it being sunny and warm, but it doesn't need to be near 30 degrees anymore. That's probably why I felt I had to paint a cold, snowy scene. Yes, I'm looking forward to winter and snow!


Linking up to the wonderful Paint Party Friday again. Make sure to pop over there and have a look at what everyone's been up to. It's always such a wonderful source of inspiration.

20 comments:

  1. What lovely composition, and I love their story.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely scene, beautiful softness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this... and i know what you mean about the heat... less of that but more sunshine please :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful and I too am looking forward to winter...I need a reprieve from the humid heat!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, lovely painting!! :)
    So great seeing your process, too.
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fine painting! I like soft and dark diskuss. Expressive feeling and good working with bruch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your village ladies, so sweet and ethereal. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet....Happy PPF xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a sweet painting and I love the very soft delicate colour palette. I enjoyed Tea with Mussolini when I watched it a few months ago - great film. I wish we had temperatures near 30 degrees - other than a couple of unusually hot weeks we've not had much summer really and already it's getting colder and darker and we're in for a long cold winter. I don't mind winter usually but I know I'll be longing for the light evenings again soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a beautiful painting. I think it would make for the sweetest Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this painting is adorable!!!! Have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a favorite of all I've seen so far! I really love it! I too love Winter and snow. The cooler weather is fast on its way now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice. Looking forward to Fall over here. Have a great day.
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your ladies of the village are adorable. It does look pretty cold there ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your ladies! Beautiful job with the shading on them! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  16. your blog is delightful. i enjoyed seeing the progression of your art along with the story. very endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw these are adorable! And delicious colors too! I wish I was next to them for a couple of days, while we are having here still super hot weather ha! I am so ready for the fall :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a lovely painting! I always loved autumn, but I would like to enjoy some nice sunny days still :-)
    Happy PPF
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely ladies. I am tired of the heat, too. Winter is looking pretty good this year. ;)

    ReplyDelete