Friday 13 September 2013

Treasures from nature, autumn, and a new pen

It's beginning to feel like autumn outside. Mainly grey, misty, cold, wet so far. But in my sketchbook, the warm colours of autumn have already arrived. I picked up some acorns and a beautiful litte pine cone on one of my (much too rare, I admit) Sunday walks.






I was using a pen for a little flower sketch the other day, a beautifully rich, deep black ink pen. It was fast becoming a favourite pen for future sketching and doodling. That was until I added some watercolours and discovered, that, contrary to my belief, it was, in fact, not waterproof. It turned the whole sketch into a bit of a mess, but the bleeding pen, together with the watercolours, made for a quite interesting effect, altogether. So I did another sketch, a simpler one, to explore the possibilities, and I think it works really well, giving my autumn leaves that slight autumny feel of decay. So I'll definitely continue to use this pen. I just have to remember not to use it when I don't want that effect! Maybe having put the pen itself into my sketchbook will help.


I'm already looking forward to sketching all those autumn leaves, and whatever other autumnal treasures nature will throw at my feet. I'm really hoping for a beautiful, colourful autumn.

Linking up with the wonderful Paint Party Friday. Pop over and get inspired!

17 comments:

  1. You make autumn sound so romantic and the way I imagine it to be as 'Fall' in a New England town - dry and crisp and full of amazing colours! I imagine the reality here will be more soggy, wet leaves turning to mulch underfoot and mucky dogs in need of belly washes after every walk!! You take the most amazing photographs - you have a real gift for photography as well as art. I love that you had a happy accident when it came to your non-waterproof pen. that happened me with a bottle of black ink once which I thought was waterproof although it just made a mess! Your pieces are lovely and the effect the pen made has worked a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeousness! Your photos and sketches are wonderful. Have you thought of using a fixative spray over the pen before doing watercolor (wet media) on top, it may be worth a try. Enjoy your autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving your autumn sketches. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite time of year - I love it when the toadstools appear too - Love your sketches :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful studies with a great use of seasonal colours:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and simple sketches but your colors are so vibrants and really make them pop. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful autumn sketches. HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait for the weather to cool down and become Fall here in Baltimore. Love your sketches! So pretty
    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful watercolor paintings. I love the acorns!
    Happy PPF.
    xx Monique

    ReplyDelete
  10. really beautiful sketches!! I love how the pen bled into the drawings-I like at technique very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Your work is always amazing!

    Have a great day!
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful sketching! I agree that the bleeding pen creates a lovely effect. I learned from Carla Sonheim to use cheap nonpermanent markers with watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful Autumn journal pages, I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful work. What kind of pen was it? I've been experimenting with water soluble pens lately. Autumn is my favorite season, then spring, winter and summer. Love the color and serenity you've captured here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the bleeding pen effect! What lovely little treasures you found and sketched! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It really does give a nice effect that pen! Funny how sometimes you can make such "happy mistakes"... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your photographs. The lighting is awesome.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete