Saturday 3 September 2011

Back to basics

I've always wanted to draw more, learn it properly, being able to sit down with a little sketchbook somewhere, during a walk, in a city café, and quickly capture the landscape, the scene, a face on paper. I've made several attempts over the past years to learn it and get into the habit, but I always gave up very quickly, too quickyl, impatiently, and turned to my paints again.

This afternoon, I sat down with my sketchbook, took a fashion magazine, put on some music (my favourite Al Bowlly cd - I've got a passion for the 1920/30s :) ), and just started drawing, without thinking too much. There's still much to improve, quite a few mistakes, wrong proportions, etc., but all in all, it is a lot better than I expected it would be. And most important, it's a start. And this time, I'm determined. I won't give up, but make time for it, and practise, practise, practise :)


I think, next time I'll try to draw Al Bowlly ;)

1 comment:

  1. Well this was a surprise, but a nice one. I was expecting to see more of the forest canvas developing, but you throw us this little gem. How nice to just be able to sit and do this when the mood takes you. It's amazing how you can portray so much with just a sketch style.

    I've never heard the name Al Bowlly before, but the music is definitely familiar, and immediately transports one into an art deco world with all the fashions, styles and ways of talking that accompany it. It must be a wonderful atmosphere to completely immerse yourself into for a little while. I've been practising a little of my Cole Porter lately which is quite fun, and a good way to let the mind wander (as if I have trouble doing that!)

    ReplyDelete