Wednesday 16 March 2011

A Bit of Spring

I've been complaining about the fact that there's nothing else around yet except a few snowdrops. And all the while, a field of lovely purple crocuses were right there, in the park. I only discovered them by chance when I took the route through the park after work last week. So I made sure to bring my camera the next day to take a few pics, both early in the morning and during my lunch break.

Early morning

I wanted to practice shooting in manual mode, but as I wanted to take "worm view pics" and didn't want to ruin my trousers and appear at work all muddy and dirty, I just changed to aperture priorty and put my camera on the ground. I quite like taking pictures that way because you can't really much influence the focus (unless you use the viewfinder, which more often than not, I find quite impractical) and you never really know how the picture turns out. Most of them are for the bin, but there are usually one or two quite surprising and cool.

Soaking up the sun

 The place was literally buzzing when I went back in my lunch break. Dozens of busy bees where flying from one flower to the next, diving deep into the flowers to collect the pollen.


I passed the place again today and the crocuses are now in a rather sorry state. But all around, on the grass, little flowers in all colours are popping up. I have to admit that I have no idea what they are, but they certainly look very happy and cheerful.



The two warm, sunny spring days are already over for the moment, it's getting cooler - and wet. But maybe, the rain will bring some more colour in a few days.

2 comments:

  1. I love doing this kind of "worm view" photography. Also, there always seems to be a group of kids around, and I just know I'd look ridiculous rolling around in the grass, and struggling to get up again, so sometimes it's the only way to get a photo! Besides, when the camera chooses unexpected areas to focus on, you can just call it "art!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. your photos are just so inspiring! I can not wait for some flowers to bloom here!

    ReplyDelete