I've tried my hand at creating a new blog header today. After using a simple photo (which I didn't manage to fit properly) and one of the default fonts, I discovered the wonderful blog header made by Rita at The CoffeeShop Blog. It was a PSD template file which allowed you to easily add your photos to the photo masks. I've used it for the last two or three weeks and I love it but on the other hand, I wanted to try it out myself and create my very own blog header.
Having worked through most of the classes of two of the e-courses by Kim Klassen, I felt confident enough to create my own layer mask template. It worked quite well and I'm really pleased with the result though I already see a hundred things that could be improved. But the good thing with designing your own stuff is that you can change and improve and work on it as often as you want. And I'm sure that's what I'll be doing. But for the moment, I'm quite happy with this one.