Friday 2 March 2012

A rosy palette of watercolours and a new drawing board

I've been thinking about getting this drawing board for a while, and when the artist materials shop had a 20% sales offer, I couldn't resist. It arrived last week. It's made of MDF, lovely light colour, and a good 50x70cm size.


I had to immediately try it out, of course. So on went a piece of watercolour paper, and out came the water colour paint boxes.


The Sketchbook Challenge's theme for February was "Close up" and this month, I wanted to participate in the challenge (after having had to give the doodles a miss last month). I found a photograph of pretty rose, a close up of the centre of a rose. Perfect for the theme and for the watercolours. A quick sketch of the subject, although not being bothered about copying it one hundred percent. For the rose, I wanted a rosy pink palette - the perfect opportunity to try out those fabulous pink paints I had bought a few weeks ago.


I started with a palette of Permanent rose, Magenta and the rather extravagant and very dramatic Opera rose.



As the rose was slowly developing, some more colours were needed for shading and especially for the deep shadows between the petals. I added some Madder lake deep, Permanent carmine, Quinacridone violet and Indigo (don't you just love Indigo? Such a gorgeous colour) to mix some deeper reds and purples.



I also used some Permanent Chinese white at the end, for some highlights, as I ended up with too many layers of paint, and almost none of the white paper shining through for natural highlights, as usual. I do love the light and transparent look of watercolour, but I always end up with far too much paint  and very little transparency on mine. The Chinese white didn't really work, of course. It looks great when applied, while it was still wet, but it is transparent, so once dry, there wasn't much left of it. So I used a white ink pen at the end, to add some highlights, which didn't really work too well either. Where the Chinese white is too transparent, the ink pen is a bit too opaque here.


It was good to take those watercolours out again. It's been a while. And it was also good to try and do some botanical painting again (something I want to do much more often), even though I'm not overly happy with the result. Still need a lot of practice with those watercolours. But I like my new drawing board :)

Linking this up with the wonderful and inspiring Paint Party Friday and Palette & Paint
Do have a look at the contributing artists there, it's simply fabulous and so rewarding.

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful watercolour, love the colours... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful w/c ~ wow! Isn't it amazing how a new 'art toy' will get the 'spirit' flowing ~namaste, carol (A Creative Harbor) Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful painting. Love your new drawing board too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I love all the depth and layers of color you've built up here- simply wonderful! Oh, and I do the same thing with water colors, mine always becomes more about intensity of color with transparency rather than transparent layers of colors- I don't think there's any WRONG way to do it tho and what you've achieved here is FAB!
    Happy PPF,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how gorgeous this is! You are such a fine painter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. This is just beautiful! Excellent step by step process. I love your rose with the beautiful layers of color. Fabulous! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Although you may not be thrilled with the results, to me it's amazing. I'm just starting to learn about watercolors, andvthis was really helpful. I also lovevthe photographs of your palette. Tee hee!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flower is beautiful and that new drawing board must be perfect. :-)
    Love the contrasts in your painting... great work! Happy PPF! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw your lovely painting already at the Sketchbook Challenge. It's so nice! I'm coveting that beautiful board. It'll be a great investment for you..enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is STUNNING! The curves, the touches of white, the shades of all the colors you used- it is amazing. I hear a bit of your inner critic in your post- tell that critic to jump in a lake- this is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow-- this painting is so sensual and evocative.

    and what a great new drawing board!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous rose painting! So full of color...a wonderful range of pinks.
    The photos of your watercolor palette are just as beautiful to me! :)
    Your photography is extraordinary!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks lovely from here! Really enjoyed the along the way photos also. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. luscious pinks and wonderful new supplies! happy painting to you!
    happy PPF


    Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally gorgeous and loving all those wonderful tones. Happy PPF and enjoy the weekend, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  16. roses completely do my head in in watercolour and I attack them again and again and every time I just overwork them... this is great in my book and think you maybe a being a rather tough on yourself, but we all do that don't we... I have sworn off doing roses for now... other botanicals are much more relaxing... loved seeing you do botanicals and hope you do more... have a great week...xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is seriously the most beautiful and unique watercolor I have ever seen. I am blown away. I am off to your fb page to follow you, or become a friend. My jaw is on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!

    Beautiful rose!! You make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Having tools you love is half the battle. I think your rose is beautiful, and I love the shots of your lotus palette.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your closeup rose is gorgeous. I love the colors. Perhaps you're being too hard on yourself. :) Your board is wonderful, I may need one too. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The different shades of red are just mesmerizing ... just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You just had to use it and you have put it to very good use...lovely, lovely petals:)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous! Beautiful shading. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your painting is so real, I feel that I can reach out and touch the petals. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very sweet watercolor! Wonderful shots of your progress,palette and supplies, so much fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such an inspiring and beautiful post! Gorgeous art..and gorgeous pinks!
    Fabulous!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving the watercolour paints and that rose is worth a thousand words.....simply stunning and captivating!

    Love your new easel.

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh wow! The new drawing board is lovely, your painting is beautiful, and as always your photos of your palette are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your painting is wonderful! I love the colour and the tonal values! I have never been able to paint with watercolours - I make way too many mistakes and have to paint over them which works well with oils and acrylics

    ReplyDelete