Friday 2 December 2016

A little face-a-day challenge

I've been wanting to do a little face-a-day challenge for ages, but then always somehow forgot about it. But then, last week, after drawing a quick face in my sketchbook in my lunch break at work, I decided to start it there and then. At least one face a day, for about a month, until December 22, which is when N will be coming, and the last day before my 2 weeks' Christmas holiday.


What better way to use all those pens and pencils in your pencil case, really get to know those pens you've been carrying around with you and never really use. I ordered a Sailor calligraphy pen a while ago, one of those fountain pens with a bent nib, and I'm really enjoying it. It was about time I started using it! Different mediums, different styles - just playing around, filling your sketchbook pages and getting lots of practice.





And last but not least...
This week, December 1 - 7, is Crohn's and Colitis Awareness Week.
Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease are the two main forms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), chronic conditions where the immune system attacks the bowels. It can have devastating effects on people's lives, and for most, it means lifelong medication and recurrent phases of pain and other effects, as well as having to cope with shame and lack of understanding attached to an invisible illness that affects the taboo digestive system. The number of people being diagnosed with IBD is rising, among them more and more children, and so far, there is no cure for it.



9 comments:

  1. The faces are wonderful, great idea. Crohn's Disease is hard, several people in my family suffer from it. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great collection of portraits! I especially like the one with the pink nose - she looks as if she's just come in from the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, expressive sketches.
    Happy PPF ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your faces, and how different they look with the use of different materials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are all so wonderful! My favorite though is the first one-there is such a sweetness to her. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, very expressive. My friend's daughter is having surgery this weekend to remove a bowel blockage, she was diagnosed with Crohns at age 10. She is near 30 now. Hard, hard life she has had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An incredible array of faces, each so different from the other. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them all so much, especially the first you posted. And what a great challenge! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love all of the faces. Each one with so much expression and life.

    ReplyDelete