Saturday 5 May 2012

Wild Abandonment blog hop

My first blog hop ever! I'm so excited to participate!


I signed up for Junelle Jacobsen's and Christy Tomlinson's workshop The Art of Wild Abandoment a few weeks ago. After having taken quite a few online classes last year, I resolved not to take any this year, but spending more time and energy on my own work instead. But I just couldn't resist this one. It sounded so much fun. And I'm enjyoing it big time, even if I haven't come very far yet, to be honest. There's just so much I want to do and paint, and the weekend only has so many hours... But the class is open the whole year, so I still have time to watch all the videos and do the exercises without missing anything.

Claire Smillie had the idea to do a blog hop and organised, even and created this wonderful badge too. Thanks Claire! So today, we're all sharing something we did inspired by the workshop on our blog , a sketch or a journal page or a painting or an object, and link to each other in one big circle.

I made another double page for my Dreams & Wishes Journal for 2012, which consists of recycled book covers. The lesson included part of a girl with a layered skirt and the things "we bring". What is us, what makes us what we are. My version turned out to be my studio, and the things that inspire me. Not the studio I have at the moment, which isn't a proper studio at all but just a small room in the flat with serves as library, study - and studio. But I'm dreaming of having a proper studio one day, a studio that is just a studio. A good sized room, light and cheerful with enough room for all the supplies and stuff, and full of inspiration and art.


So there's my easel in my studio, and of course all the supplies like brushes. My camera is also an important part of my creativy. Not only for taking inspiring image to paint from and for taking photos of my art to post here, but also photography itself as an art form that fascinates me. And of course there's the inspiration that gets you going. Nature is something that inspires me greatly, hence the flowers. And the books, well, I just couldn't live without them (quite literally, considering that I'm a librarian).


And of course there has to be a cat. My beloved cat which I had half my life died three years ago just a few days before Christmas (it was a very dismal Christmas for sure that year), and I still miss her. It's not practical to have a cat at the moment, but one day, I'll have one again. And I couldn't image my proper studio without a one. So the cat had to go on the page too.


If you followed the chain, you've come here from Tracey Cedara Dunn's blog Thru the Attic Door who's become addicted to Caran d'Ache Neocolor II. Next in line is Marsa Fisher aka GCgirl, do hop over and see her take on a project from the class, a beautiful note board, and follow the chain to see what everyone else did.

44 comments:

  1. Hoping-around. How cute isnt that??! Love love love the camera and those thick thick books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh I LOVE this! Your sketching is fabulous and your choice of colors just wonderful! Love the bubble wrap texture and the doily as a skirt layer. It all works so well together :) Thankyou for sharing and letting us be your first bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if only my art table looked like this - a girl can dream, right? thanks for sharing your wonderful art with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colours you have used. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! I want a studio like that too, especially if your art is in it to inspire me...your what we bring spread is GORGEOUS! I adore the easel and stool, they look well-loved, and the bulging books are just fantastic. Love the layers of her dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your studio painting. Hope soon you'll be able to make this dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love the stack of books and the camera perched on top! I'm a new follower of your blog now!! Here from the hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Junelle Art that you have created is absolutely wonderful!!! I loved the way you journaled on each layer of the skirt...great inspiration here! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The texture in the cat is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work displayed on this Grey is simply Eye candy!!!!! I look at your work often and now I can see it right here!!!!!! So excited! Thank you for sharing your wonderful art with us through the workshop and now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work and your cat is just so sweet happily watching you paint! Loveing the grey polka dots on your background for your blog...how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love your Dream studio! Beautiful page.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just love the cat sleeping at your feet in your studio!! perfect piece of artwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty. Love her girly skirt!

    ElleCee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love what you have done so far.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work. Sorry about your cat. THey kinda never leave even after they are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never come across a blog hop before - What a fabulous idea!
    I am so sorry about your cat. We lost our beautiful dog, Codi on Christmas day (the last). It was unexpected so the day was incredibly traumatic for all of us. I'm not sure how I will feel this Christmas... Sorry to trail off the reason I'm here - to see your beautiful art! And it really is truly whimsical and beautiful! I'd love to see a step by step of how you create a page like this :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love your she art!! you do such wonderful art. your cat is so precious. and what a wonderful way to remember her!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your journal scene! The cat, the tulips, the canvas.. everything says Yes and Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love everything about your Art of Wild Abandonment creation! Your talent is definitely evident!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a delightful piece! Soo many details to love ;o).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Funny, I made that same promise not to take any more workshops this year but you're right, this one was hard to resist : ) Isn't it great we decided to take it? Beautiful page!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sweetness abounds in these gorgeous pages. I love hearing your story!
    x, Val

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love everything of your work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I dream of a space like the one you described, but right now my "art studio" is a chopping block on my kitchen hutch, and a few little ironstone jugs to hold brushes and pens. It hasn't kept me from having a great time with this class -- in fact, I'm beginning to like it. I can paint while I cook!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome work, love it! Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed looking around at your blog seeing your other work as well, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So lovely, honestly love this so much, thanks so much for sharing this, the colours,the cosyiness, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the texture on your cat! The whole painting is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your beautiful project. So many lovely details. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW, what a Fabulous spread, I love the arttist flare! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just amazingly beautiful. I just started and still on week one and this blog-hop is so inspiring. I want to shut the computer down and go play, but I just have to keep going! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is wonderful! I too dream of a proper studio with lots of light & workspace dedicated to my art! I hope your dream comes true one day soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! Your art is wonderful! So colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your dreaming cat. This course is intriguing me more with each hop.♥

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kay, I would have to take months to look over your amazing blog! This post is wonderful but I can't get over the portrait you painted on the blog previous to this one. Your photography is amazing and your art is amazing. Very sorry to hear about your cat. I love cats too! Just love your blog. Will have to sign up to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your pages are so rich with color and texture! So fun to visit your blog~ love the tribute page to your sweet kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVE your art work, so inspiring! Love your pages with the dream of your special studio and favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the colors in your work! They are so rich! Wonderful pieces and I love the kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your studio!! All the details are so cute, and it is just full of sweet inspiration! I love having my camera for inspiration, and it certainly keeps my creativity flowing! You did an amazing job, and I hope you have another sweet {creative} cat to work by your side soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love your journal page! The girl, the easel, the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow! This is amazing! I love what you have created! So much texture and so many details!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. So sad I missed the hop! My "what I bring with me" page from the class is still in progress. It's very similar to yours though! Substitute a dog for a cat and some slightly different supplies. Hope to get to it this week.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  43. I found the blog hop via someone (can't remember who now) but love your page for this class (it is next on my list of classes to take). And your photography is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete